Abrupt pitch inputs

iThRz7

Abrupt pitch inputs

Post by iThRz7 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 pm

Hi LVFR team, I just bought the Aircraft and it looks really nice, but the only problem I faced that dont make me feel like flying it is a problem that occurs specially during the landing. It is almost impossible to do a decent landing. Either the airplane just falls from the sky (then I pitch up my sidestick fully and it looks like the aircraft doesnt respond), or I just pitch up a little bit in the very beginning of the flare (almost nothing) and the aircraft floats in such a way that even if a pitch down fully in the sidestick it still floats, and then it just falls from the sky after the big floating. What I noticed, is that the pitch up and down input is very abrupt in this aircraft, so maybe that is a way to fix it. If you guys want, I can send the videos to help you to recognize the problem.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Re: Abrupt pitch inputs

Post by RicardoLVFR » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:43 pm

Hi, what controllers are you using? joystick or such?
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

iThRz7

Post by iThRz7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 am

Thanks for the reply, Ricardo. Im using the trustmaster Airbus sidestick, works normally with all the planes I fly. I even changed the sensibility to the smoothest possible. But im pretty sure that the abrupt pitch imputs are just part of the problem. I think this crazy float and the fall from the sky during the landing are a problem with the flare. It really needs an upgrade. I've read some of the topics openned and I saw that Im not the first to report problems with the flare.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:24 am

iThRz7 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 am
Thanks for the reply, Ricardo. Im using the trustmaster Airbus sidestick, works normally with all the planes I fly. I even changed the sensibility to the smoothest possible. But im pretty sure that the abrupt pitch imputs are just part of the problem. I think this crazy float and the fall from the sky during the landing are a problem with the flare. It really needs an upgrade. I've read some of the topics openned and I saw that Im not the first to report problems with the flare.
Hi, the pitch inputs were an issue on the initial release, and we made some changes. Which version do you have installed?

I test with the trust master sidestick too and haven't seen this issue.

As for the flare, at what weights are you landing? if you are landing bellow Max landing weight, you shouldn't have it falling from the sky as you say.

In any case we know that some things need tuning and we are constantly looking into, but the behavior you mention can be of many reasons and also because of tuning needed in the flight model.
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

iThRz7

Post by iThRz7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am

Im flying with the latest version available in the marketplace. About the flare, I alredy tried with many weight configurations to test. Looks like that at some point, the aircraft enters in an inertia about 50ft, it pitches down by itself and its impossible to retake, some times it happened even whith throttle in Climb.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:07 pm

iThRz7 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am
Im flying with the latest version available in the marketplace. About the flare, I alredy tried with many weight configurations to test. Looks like that at some point, the aircraft enters in an inertia about 50ft, it pitches down by itself and its impossible to retake, some times it happened even whith throttle in Climb.
Hi, are you retarding the throttles when it says 'retard'?

And are you using the speed that 'managed mode' is setting depending the weights, add a bit more for any wind shifts. This may help the 'falling from the sky'.

Anyways, we going to keep fine tuning the flight model to see how to improve the flare issue.
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

iThRz7

Post by iThRz7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:23 pm

Yes, Im retarding the throttles. I just tested some times without retarding to see if it would fall from the sky in the same way it used to happen when I normally retarded the throttle, and it happened in the same way. As I said, it enters in an inertia that is impossible to retake, even with throttle set and pitching up the sidestick fully. About the speed, for some reason I cant enable the managed mode when I just spawn on the runway, set the weights and configure the FMGC to do some landings, (in the Fenix A320 and FlyByWire A320NEO I can), but I do the wind correction with the speed it gives me in the FMGC anyway. When Im doing full flights, I can use the managed mode normally and the flare problems happen in the same way. Its nice to hear that you are going to keep tunning the flight model, because the airplane modelling is really fantastic, it just needs an improvement in the Flare, and the avionics update and it will be perfect.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:46 pm

iThRz7 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:23 pm
Yes, Im retarding the throttles. I just tested some times without retarding to see if it would fall from the sky in the same way it used to happen when I normally retarded the throttle, and it happened in the same way. As I said, it enters in an inertia that is impossible to retake, even with throttle set and pitching up the sidestick fully. About the speed, for some reason I cant enable the managed mode when I just spawn on the runway, set the weights and configure the FMGC to do some landings, (in the Fenix A320 and FlyByWire A320NEO I can), but I do the wind correction with the speed it gives me in the FMGC anyway. When Im doing full flights, I can use the managed mode normally and the flare problems happen in the same way. Its nice to hear that you are going to keep tunning the flight model, because the airplane modelling is really fantastic, it just needs an improvement in the Flare, and the avionics update and it will be perfect.
Ok, we going to try landings and flares. Can you tell me what was the Gross weight and the GWCG when you had this issue please?
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

iThRz7

Post by iThRz7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm

I tried landings with different GW, but the one I most tested was 172000.

https://youtu.be/0vOifo1uIXg?si=BIcci9TfSTaaMAw-

This is the link of one of the landings I tried. Even though it doens't look like, after 50ft I was pitching up fully on my sidestick.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 pm

Ok I just did a few tests and the issue is, and I can confirm it on your video. Wind gusts.

Tried 3 landings.

1- with normal wind gusts, and the regular speed in managed mode, and had your same situation.

2- no wind at all, and regular speed in managed mode. And did not fall from the sky.

3- with normal wind gusts and with selected speed, it was supposed to be 140, but did 145. So with adding 5 more, did not get the fall from the sky.

The solution is to add 5 to 6 knots to your final approach speed, and let the autothrottle control and manage speed till you hear the retard or you feel you won't fall from the sky on the flare.

We will keep looking into improving this. But the truth of the matter, the heavy aircraft are more complex when landing than the smaller types. And with wind gusts you may have this outcome if you don't add more speed to your landing.

100% sure you try that landing without wind and you won't have this situation.
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner