KFLL Terrain glitches/issues

piedmonitor

Re: KFLL Terrain glitches/issues

Post by piedmonitor » Tue May 09, 2023 4:07 am

Have you reached out to Asobo to discuss the problem and see if they have any suggestions? I frequently see other developers reference talking to them. Alternatively, have you reached out to other developers of sceneries for airports that require custom mesh to see if they have any alternative workflows?

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Tue May 09, 2023 2:10 pm

We need to reach out and see what solution there can be for this, but last time around they had made an update to it, and it seemed not to have worked. Will ask if they will improve it a bit more. thanks
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

e4logics

Post by e4logics » Wed May 17, 2023 2:31 pm

Good morning all. Reading this thread, I decided to see if I had the same issues at the airport.
First my graphics card is a Nvidia 4090. I am on the latest driver. I had my setting setup to my liking. I was also using the Nvidia freestyle filters. The only issue I had was the runways were blurry. That bothered me but I ignore it. I have never encountered the terrain issues. Now I did update my SDK to the latest version. I always update my SDK when available. Then the sim started crashing. Not because of the airport. Before I found the solution for the crash I reinstall the sim and graphics driver, which reset my graphics setting. I set my anti-aliasing back to TAA. I have Nvidia frame generation on and v-sync off. DX12 on. This time I did not adjust the rest of the settings. Went back to KFLL and my runways were no longer blurry. I wrote this to say that the people who are having the terrain issues at the airport, that it might be graphic card settings and environmental issues. Setting some of the graphics setting to low may be causing some issues. Also check that you are on the latest SDK. My crashing issues had to do with Nvidia freestyle filters, frame generation and DX12. That is my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Wed May 17, 2023 4:24 pm

e4logics wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:31 pm
Good morning all. Reading this thread, I decided to see if I had the same issues at the airport.
First my graphics card is a Nvidia 4090. I am on the latest driver. I had my setting setup to my liking. I was also using the Nvidia freestyle filters. The only issue I had was the runways were blurry. That bothered me but I ignore it. I have never encountered the terrain issues. Now I did update my SDK to the latest version. I always update my SDK when available. Then the sim started crashing. Not because of the airport. Before I found the solution for the crash I reinstall the sim and graphics driver, which reset my graphics setting. I set my anti-aliasing back to TAA. I have Nvidia frame generation on and v-sync off. DX12 on. This time I did not adjust the rest of the settings. Went back to KFLL and my runways were no longer blurry. I wrote this to say that the people who are having the terrain issues at the airport, that it might be graphic card settings and environmental issues. Setting some of the graphics setting to low may be causing some issues. Also check that you are on the latest SDK. My crashing issues had to do with Nvidia freestyle filters, frame generation and DX12. That is my 2 cents. I hope it helps.
Thank you, can you share pictures of what you actually get in KFLL for terrain so we can see?
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

e4logics

Post by e4logics » Thu May 18, 2023 10:58 am

What I did find when taxing to 28L is that it is bumpy on taxi way J. Its doable and really no different than BWI. You can taxi. When entering 28L and taking off it is bumpy on rollout but not stopping you from taking off. You can land and takeoff on 10R/28L. I circled the two areas of issue, AI will not takeoff on 28R. I am getting a board quota has been reached when trying to upload my image's.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Thu May 18, 2023 12:57 pm

e4logics wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:58 am
What I did find when taxing to 28L is that it is bumpy on taxi way J. Its doable and really no different than BWI. You can taxi. When entering 28L and taking off it is bumpy on rollout but not stopping you from taking off. You can land and takeoff on 10R/28L. I circled the two areas of issue, AI will not takeoff on 28R. I am getting a board quota has been reached when trying to upload my image's.
That's how we get it too.
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

piedmonitor

Post by piedmonitor » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:48 am

e4logics wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:31 pm
I wrote this to say that the people who are having the terrain issues at the airport, that it might be graphic card settings and environmental issues.
That is not the case. I have tested this now across two systems with 3 different graphics cards and have discussed it with numerous people in my VAs, some of whom have very strong systems, all of whom have the same issues discussed at length in this thread.

piedmonitor

Post by piedmonitor » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:28 pm

Has there been any progress made in trying to address these issues? The runway isn't as bad as I remember it being, though there are a couple mesh issues in it that will catapult your plane if you hit it wrong, but the taxiways on the slope are basically unusable.

I took this video with the drone camera illustrating the issues. To address the previously mentioned supposed explanation being performance based, note that until I crank the terrain LOD to 200 and terrain vectors to Ultra this is recorded at basically a smooth 60 fps, I have a 5800x3d and a 6900xt with 64GB of RAM so this is not caused by performance, and the higher LOD/vector data doesn't fix it either.

https://youtu.be/FZ30P6W5iWU

These issues also don't seem to be caused entirely by underlying mesh issues -- the default scenery is much flatter and much smoother, though there are a few spots with issues that are probably bleeding through into the LVFR scenery. I recorded a comparison video.

https://youtu.be/RXAvjGdS9ek

So you can see there are some issues in the default scenery that don't seem to pull through in the LVFR scenery, and there are some in the default scenery that do seem to pull through.

I am still holding out hope that these issues can be fixed without the slope itself being removed.

RicardoLVFR
Site Admin

Post by RicardoLVFR » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 pm

Reason why there are huge differences between default and our scenery is because we decided to try and make the slope on runway 10R/28L as realistic as it is in real life.

On the default there isn't even an attempt or a similitude with the real world.

We had hoped and expected that these terrain issues would have improved as the SDK improved, but unfortunately the update to the SDK that we had hoped would solve these issues did not help at all.

The main problem is the following:

the sloped runway/taxiway is too close to the apron which is mostly flat. We tried moving the taxiway further to the runway and farther from the apron to no avail.

Weeks or months ago MSFS released an update to the SDK addressing terrain situations, but that failed to help improve this situation.

We admit, this looks horrible. But right now, unless we remove the sloped runway altogether, there is not much we can do.

And removing the sloped runway is something that will go against what we have advertised on this scenery. Our apologies.
Ricardo Morillo
Managing Director/Owner

tkd391

Post by tkd391 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:55 pm

Ricardo,

Thank you for not fully giving up on FLL. I believe that it is overall a very good product and I see a lot of activity in the area online (VATSIM) on a fairly regular basis.

I sure hope there can be some sort of a fix for this issue soon! I know a recent scenery (I believe by VerticalSIM) of KTPA had somehow managed to fix the slope of the taxiways and meshing issue on taxiways A, B, and J (where the bridges are).

It is sincerely my hope that you are able to find some sort of a fix (even if it is not perfect - but useable) until Asobo assists. I believe you have tried to contact them in the past about the issues but I was hoping that you would find that this renewed interest in the airport could encourage you to try again to see if anything at all could be done. Perhaps even a "version 2" that fixes this and improves the overall quality of the scenery to bring it up to the more recent LatinVFR good quality standards.

Cheers!